Sunday, December 4, 2011

Our Trip to Ethiopia

We arrived back in the States a week ago today.  It has been a hard week for me as I try to process all my thoughts and feelings of our 10 days in Ethiopia, while dealing with unpacking 6 suitcases, a refrigerator that stopped working while we were away, a dog that picked up kennel cough while boarded, and not to mention the craziness of preparing for the holidays.

I kept a journal during our stay and decided that I'm going to post it (maybe editing a few things to protect the innocent).  I know all 7 of my followers are dying to read about my emotional ups and downs and anything-but-good writing skills :) 



The Flight  Wednesday  November 16, 2011

We are somewhere over the ocean right now.  It's 4:30 pm our time back home and 12:30 am in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.


When I chose our seats for this flight on Ethiopian Air - 28A B & C - I was focused on the fact that there were no seats behind us - so no one kicking the back of my seat for 13 plus hours.  I think I would rather have seat-kicking instead of the constant foul odor coming from the toilet, which is what actually is behind us :)


We should be trying to sleep but the bug is wide awake - playing with the lights, in constant movement, kicking the seat in front of him :)


I can't believe we will be in Ethiopia in about 7 hours!  Who can sleep!  Doesn't seem real yet.


Note to self for Embassy trip - start packing a few days ahead of time.  Waiting 'til the last minute was so frustrating!


Beza   Thursday  November 17, 2011

We had a very smooth flight landing in Addis around 8 am.  We had no wait to get our Visas.  They pulled us right into the small room with a simple Visa sign above the door, passing many in line, because we had a child.  There is a genuine love for children here.


We had no problem getting all 6 pieces of luggage - they sent us right through without x-raying our bags.

Our driver, Beky, was there waiting for us and piled all of our luggage into his Mercedes Benz.  (Beky tells us Toyotas are desired more than Mercedes here.)  Barely room for us in the car but we squeezed and it was a short ride to BJoe's Guesthouse.

Genet was there to greet us, show us our room and give a tour.  Beky brought all of our bags to our room and then asks if we would like to see Beza today.  I said "what?!"  He said if we leave in 10 minutes we can see Beza today and did not have to wait until tomorrow (Friday was our scheduled time to visit).  Sleep deprived, barely able to put 2 thoughts together, we said "lets go!".  We couldn't believe we were going to meet our daughter 2 hours after landing in Ethiopia!

We walked into toddler room #2 and there she was - just like her pictures.  Beautiful, shy, so sweet.  I wanted to run to her and scoop her right up but I knew that would scare her - plus, you're not supposed to do that :)

Cribs line the walls of the room.  There is a play mat strewn with legos, rattles, balls and stuffed animals.  And all of the children were sitting there with the caretakers playing.

I see Beza and call her name and give a little wave.  She smiles shyly at me and looks away.  A handful of children run to us and want loving and attention.  We sit on the mat and try to get her attention.  She shys away to her caretaker.  I hand her a lego and she accepts it.  She hands me a lego and we start to build a tower.


One sweet boy can't stop touching my hair.  A little girl can't get over Frank's lack of hair - touches his scalp and runs away screaming in laughter encouraging other children to do the same.

Koen and Beza start to play together.  She smiled at him, played, gave him hugs and kisses.  She would hold hands with him and lead him around the room.  The other children were very fond of Koen too.  Loved putting their hands through his hair, pulling him in all directions.  He was center of attention.

Minutes after we arrived and the caretakers knew we were there for Beza they hurriedly fixed her braids and led her out of the room to wash her face.  These ladies obviously love these children.

The hour flew by and it was time to go.  I tried to get a hug from her but it was not going to happen this visit.  Koen got enough for all of us :)



The children watched us through the windows as we left.  Koen and Beza, on opposite sides of the window, put their hand on the glass as if touching.  So very sweet.  Koen asked if we could please take her home now.  Sorry bug.  I wish.


I left feeling a mixture of emotions.  Sorting through those still.

Had a great lunch at Makush Gallery and went back to BJoes to nap.  It was a great day.




3 comments:

  1. Love this! Please keep them coming! I love reading about everyone's trips (and it makes me sort of nostalgic about ours!). Praying that you will have your sweet girl home asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of Beza and Koen are just priceless!! Even if you hadn't already told me over email, I bet I could have guessed WHO it was touching Frank's head and running away squealing! Please tell Frank "thank you" for entertaining our little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting your travel pictures and thoughts. We can't wait to be in Ethiopia ourselves!

    ReplyDelete