Friday, December 23, 2011

Ethiopia Day 9

Shopping - Government Orphanages
Friday  November 25, 2011

We were meeting the Robbins and Belay at Kolfe Orphanage at 2 pm today.  Before that we did a little shopping.

We visited the Former Women Fuel Wood Carriers Association Project.  This is a place where women can now sit and make scarves instead of walk Entoto Mt. carrying 75 pound bunches of eucalyptus on their backs for 18 miles.  (p.s. please visit http://www.connectedinhope.org to read more about these women and order one of their scarves - I have a few and one of the tote baskets!)





We then shopped at Shiro Meda for traditional clothing for Beza and Koen.  Bought a few other things there too.  It's a great place for the clothing though.  Thinking of getting more outfits in bigger sizes for Beza to have through the years.  I asked one of the girls at BJoes what would the one thing be she would absolutely want to have if she was moved to the U.S. and she said traditional clothing.




I can't even put into words my thoughts about our afternoon at the orphanages.  First Kolfe, the boys orphanage; then Kebebe TShehai, the babies; and lastly Kechene, the girls orphanage.  I'm going to have to come back to journal about all that - just so heart breaking.

boys chopping wood for cooking

sweet boys looking for a little attention :)

Each boy I looked at I thought this boy does not have anyone; no one to bring schoolwork home to; no one to comfort him when he's sick or hurt; no one to clap for him on the sidelines of the soccer field.  These boys learn very young how to fend for themselves.  I wanted to fix it for all of them.

the orphanage puppy - very friendly and so cute

A Gladney mom started a music program for the boys and brought over several instruments.  They get lessons each week.  We asked this young man to play for us and he shyly accepted praise - he was very good.

the dorm buildings

puppy brought Koen a shoe

playing soccer - Koen noticed right away that one boy did not have any shoes

Kirk doing pull ups with one of the boys :)

every time I see this it amazes me - sharing the road with the mules

the baby orphanage - picture taking is forbidden once inside

Beza spent 2 months here

Kechene - the older girls orphanage - ages 7 to 18

Belay invited us to join him for a traditional Ethiopian dinner tonight.  This is usually done during the second trip for embassy but since Belay is resigning and won't be with Gladney in January when we hopefully return to bring Beza home he asked us to join him now.  We had an awesome dinner at Yod Abyssinia with the Robbins and McDonalds.  The food was so good.  And there was dancing for entertainment.  Really good dancing. 



Becca had her hair braided by one of the girls at Kechene earlier today


Belay getting his groove on :)

Koen is behaving like a rock star.  He has been so good on this trip.  A great little traveler with a big heart.


Gave baby M another shot tonight.  He is such a trooper.  Tomorrow one more.


I can't believe we are in Ethiopia - heading home tomorrow.  I wish we didn't have to leave without Beza.  This has been a crazy emotional roller coaster ride for me.  A trip of extreme highs and lows.  Guilt, confusion, love, doubt - just crazy. 

Leda left with little B today.  So excited for them and can't wait to hear how they are once home.

Side Notes

Kalekidon (kale key don) - little girl about 4 or 5 years old at Kechene orphanage.  As soon as we arrived she took me by the hand and didn't let go.  I asked why she was at the girls' orphanage and not at the babies.  The girls' orphanage starts at age 7.  I was told sometimes little ones do end up here.  She was too young to be there.  She held my hand the entire time Belay took us on tour of the buildings and grounds.  She led me to see the cows and roosters.  And then took me to an office to find a piece of paper and crayon.  I drew a pink heart and colored it in.  She smiled - looked at it for awhile - turned the paper over and drew her own heart just like mine.  I was so impressed and clapped for her - she was so proud.   Her head was shaved and her pants had a tear down the whole backside and her blue undies were showing.  The pants were too big and she had to hold them up with one hand.  I folded the waist over a few times so they would stay up.  I was watching her play on one of the  jungle gym climby things when I saw that it was time for us to go.  Belay and the others were getting into their cars so I started to walk toward our car.  A bunch of the older girls started to follow and got in between Kalekidon and me.  By the time I got into the car I could hear her crying but couldn't see her.  I couldn't stand it.  I got out of the car to look for her and  when I found her she was looking at me as if to say "how can you leave me?"  I motioned her to come to me.  She wouldn't and looked down at the ground.  I went to her and scooped her up.  She was crying so hard she couldn't catch her breath.  My heart hurt so bad - it was horrible.  I held onto her so tight.  I wanted to take her with me.  All these girls need moms - someone to hold them when they're scared, someone to clap for them when they draw pink hearts.  It was time to go.  I will never forget her.

Please visit www.LeltFoundation.org if you want to see 2 adoptive moms making a difference for the children in Ethiopia.  One of them is the Gladney mom I wrote about who brought over musical instruments for the boys at Kolfe.  I have had personal contact with both these beautiful moms and just think they are amazing.  Their latest work was raising money to purchase Christmas gifts for the children at the government orphanages.  I know people are often skeptical about donating money not knowing whether the funds really go to where it's supposed to go.  Frank and I made a donation for Christmas gifts for boys at Kolfe knowing without a doubt the funds will be used to bring a little joy to those boys on January 7 - Ethiopian Christmas.

Please also visit www.hopechest.org and/or http://family-from-afar.blogspot.com/ if you are interested in sponsoring a child in Ethiopia.  I contacted Karen Wistrom (through her blog family from afar) when we were interested in sponsoring and that is how we were connected with Firtuna (Ethiopia Day 2) a year and a half ago.  Karen is another beautiful woman making a difference for the children in Ethiopia.  I can't say enough wonderful things about her and this organization.
Karen took pictures of each and every child receiving their care packages from their sponsor family - she sends every family a picture so you can see the wonderful things happening through your sponsorship.  Just love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment