Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Koen is 5!

We had a Halloween Costume Party planned for Koen's 5th birthday.  18 of his little friends were expected at 12 noon on October 30th.  Then some crazy noreaster blew its way through our neighborhood!  There are times we don't ever see snow until January or February.  We got almost 8 inches of snow!

All this snow brought down trees that hadn't yet experienced fall and many lost power - including the building that was to host Koen's birthday.  One hour before his party was to start we received a call giving us the bad news and we had to tell a very excited little boy that he would not be having a birthday party :(

There were a few tears but we dried them off and did this instead!




Lou was having so much fun until all the snow balls he was making bogged him down.

We didn't need power for our community Halloween party.


It was a fun weekend. 
My little bug just moments after he woke up on the morning of his birthday.  The very first thing he says is "Am I five right away?" 

I absolutely love celebrating the birthdays of my children.  I love to go back to that moment in time when I first held them and felt the warmth of their skin on mine - just love it.  I close my eyes and I can still feel it.

Koen's favorite food group is pancakes.  And we happen to have an awesome restaurant right down the street that serves pancakes 50 different ways.  We were off to find us some special pancakes.

We sit down and I start to tell him all of the great new ways he can have his pancakes.  "I just want plain like at home."  I convince him to try fruity pebble pancakes.


I thought he was going to gag that small bite right back onto the plate.

Short stack of plain pancakes please.

Got some loving from one of the big brothers.  (the other big brother is at Duke and big sister is working now in DC)

Birthday dinner was cheese sandwiches in the shape of dinosaurs.  Donuts were the birthday cake of choice.

The favorite birthday present ever.


I say to him "you look just like the real Mario!"  "No, I'm just Koen.  This is a costume."  He cracks me up.

His party was rescheduled for the Saturday after Halloween which made for very happy children.

Mummy the daddy game.

Even Riley gave birthday love.

Happy birthday to my snuggle bug.  He promises no matter how old he is he will always be my snuggle bug.

Now I have to go start packing.  Cause we leave for Ethiopia in 7 days!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Koen! So excited that you leave for Ethiopia soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to Koen! Love that he got the plain pancakes - out of all of his options. Your boy knows what he wants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday sweet boy! FIVE! a whole hand! :)
    sending you all kinds of ++++++ for your court trip.
    xHeather

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, so sweet! Love the idea of that pancake restaurant, how fun! See you all soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Koen!!! Have I mentioned how excited I am about your trip?!!!! I just can't wait for you to get to meet your sweet, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete